- A hole and a driving force are needed for a building to leak.
- A driving force can be anything…. Wind, Heat, Fans, Clothes Dryer, Dirty Filter, etc…
- Air leaks through the hole of least resistance.
- If some air exits the building, an equal amount enters elsewhere.
- The Stack Effect is natural. Warm air rises and cool air falls.
- Air moves towards a place of lower pressure.
- Air carries things: Hot/Cold, Wet/Dry, Birds/Planes, Pollutants/Toxins
Heat Loss: Convection, Radiation, Conduction
- Convection happens when there is gas/air between surfaces of different temp/pressure.
- Radiation happens when there is a direct line of site between two surfaces.
- Conduction happens when two sides of the same solid object have different temperatures.
The more air-tight a building, the better we can control the temp/RH%. Once we have an airtight space, insulation surrounds it, and additional layers/boundaries may be used to strategically protect against unwanted Convection, Radiation and Conduction.
Leave a Reply